During my 10day stop in Ho Chi Minh, I stayed at the Ngoc Thao Guesthouse in the backpacker area. The owners and everyone who worked there were very friendly and helpful with whatever we needed. They offered to prepare a typical Vietnamese meal for us where we would get to go shopping with them to the local food market, help them cook and then finally eat with them. The other time, one of the girls who works there, Tran, took me for breakfast to her favourite place which is actually a few tables set up in somebody’s house. Let me tell you, it was best Mi Quang I’ve had (see featured image of this post). I hope I can treat her to breakfast someday!
Back to recipes, there will be 3.
Sauteed Morning Glory – This one is dead easy but we really enjoyed it and decided to put it up lest I forget by the time my travels are over.
Braised chicken with ginger – This one was everyone’s favourite
Sour Fish soup – a light soup for those hot summer days
This is a very easy recipe with a delicious end result. Perfect for a mid week meal on a cold cold day!
- 1 large leek (dark green part removed), cut into half and then sliced.
- 750gms potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 100gms crème fraiche
- 1.5 cubes of chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbspn butter
- 1 tspn oil
- Heat oil and butter in a pot.
- When heated, add leek, potatoes and onion. Fry for 10 minutes on medium heat. Add black pepper.
- Add stock to 500ml of hot water and add to the pot of veggies. Cook till potatoes are cooked, another 15-20mins.
- When veggies are cooked, blend till smooth, in batches if needed.
- Add blended soup back to the pot, adjust seasoning, add more water if needed.
- Whisk the crème fraiche with some soup in a separate bowl. Add to the soup, 2tbspn at a time, tasting all the time to ensure the right amount of creaminess.
- Heat through. Enjoy with warm crusty bread.
A delicious soul-warming soup for those cold days!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic (3 if you don’t like you soup very garlicky), skin on
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2.5tspn ground cumin
- 2tspn paprika
- 1/2tspn turmeric
- 3tbspn olive oil
- 2cubes veg stock, dissolved in 1litre of water
- salt, to taste
- Greek yoghurt and chives (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 180degrees C
- Mix all the veggies with the spices and the oil and place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper
- Bake for an hour till veggies are soft.
- Peel the skin off the garlic.
- Blend veggies in batches, thinning with the veg stock as needed, transfer to a heated pot to keep the soup warm. Adjust seasoning.
- Transfer to bowls, garnish with Greek yoghurt and chives and enjoy!