My sister and I managed to eat one whole coffee cake in just over a day! Just as I was thinking I should take a break from eating cakes, my sister requested/insisted (with puppy eyes) to make another one, which I did. I promised myself that I won’t eat any but cake#2 is even more delicious so we’ll see if I manage to keep that promise. In round 2, we added even more coffee and also added some walnuts and the result has been pretty good!
- 2 larges eggs, around 125gms, at room temperature
- 125gms caster sugar
- 125gms butter, at room temperature
- 125gms self raising flour (or 125gms plain flour + 1tspn baking powder)
- 2.5tbspn instant coffee mixed with 1tbpsn cold water (use half if you don’t want a strong coffee flavor)
- 75gms walnut halves
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Line an 8inch baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk sugar and butter until pale and creamy.
- Break an egg into the bowl, whisk continuously to avoid lumps, whisk until creamy. Repeat with the 2nd egg.
- Sift flour into the cake mixture, pour in the coffee, drop in the walnuts. Mix gently until everything is just combined.
- Pour batter in the baking tin and bake for 30mins (or until skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean)
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Delay your promise of ‘no more cake’ and quickly eat a slice (or two) before you change your mind.