Delicious chicken cooked in a mild spinach based sauce. I fell in love with this the first time my mom cooked it for me.
- 1.25kgs chicken on bone (drumsticks or thighs)
- 1/2kg spinach, rinsed
- 125gms coriander
- 4 green chillies
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup pre-fried onions, blended to a paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1/4th star anise
- 3tspn Kitchen King masala (or any other chicken masala)
- 4tspn fresh ginger garlic paste (ratio 1:4 ginger to garlic)
- 1.5tspn coriander powder
- .5tspn cumin powder
- Salt, to taste
- 8tbspns sunflower oil
- Marinate chicken with 1tspn ginger garlic paste and 1/2tspn salt for 1hr.
- Boil chicken on low flame till half cooked, around 30mins.
- In another pot, boil spinach. Blend this with fresh coriander and green chillies.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add the bay leaf, cardamoms and star anise.
- After 30secs, add onion and fry on high heat till it turns pinkish.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 3mins.
- Turn heat to low. Add kitchen king masala. Fry for 2mins.
- Add tomatoes, coriander powder, cumin powder, pre-friend onion paste. Fry for 5miins or till raw taste of masalas is gone.
- Add spinach puree, fry for 5mins.
- Add chicken, cover and cook till chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with fresh rotis!