This is one of my favourite bhajis (greens). Although in most parts of the world, dill is used as a garnish, in India it is prepared as a dry curry. (Any greens prepared as curry is called bhaji). This is my mum’s recipe; It’s very simple and healthy and tastes splendid with sorghum rotis smeared with ghee.
- 1/2kg dill (called shepu in marathi), chopped
- 1/4cup yellow split moong dal, rinsed and soaked for atleast 30mins
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 big cloves garlic and 3 green chillies, ground to paste
- 1 onion medium, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 3tbspn sunflower oil
- Heat oil in a wok, saute garlic till golden.
- Add onions and fry till they turn reddish. Add garlic and chilly paste and fry for couple of mins.
- Add dal and fry for another 2-3mins.
- Add dill, 1/2 cup water and stir. Cover and cook on low flame until lentils and cooked and most of the water is absorbed.
- Adjust salt and serve with fresh rotis!