- 1/2cup black urad dal
- 2tbspn chana dal, dry
- 1.5tbspn fresh garlic paste
- 1.5tbspn fresh ginger paste
- 1/4tspn turmeric
- 2tbspn Ghee
- 1tbspn cumin seeds
- 1tbspn kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 15-20 curry leaves
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 2 slit green chillies (optional)
- Combine both dried lentils, rinse and soak for 8hrs or overnight. (This becomes 1.25cups if soaked overnight)
- Add soaked lentils to a pressure cooker, add enough hot water so that lentils are inch deep in water.
- Add half the ginger and garlic paste, turmeric and bring to boil.
- Close the lid of the cooker, crank the heat up to build the pressure (say 2-3mins), turn the heat down and simmer lentils for 50mins. Turn the heat off and let the pressure release on its own.
- While the lentils are cooling down, heat ghee on low to medium heat in another pot. When hot, add cumin seeds, after 30secs add the curry leaves, after another 30secs add the remaining ginger garlic paste.
- After few seconds, add onions, turn the heat to medium/high and fry till golden, around 10mins.
- Add tomatoes, chillies and salt to taste. Cook for 5-10minutes till tomatoes become soft.
- Add cooked dal to this pot (without the water it was cooked in but don’t throw the water away).
- Heat through, add remaining water if needed and simmer for 20-30minutes till the dal has thickened a bit.
- Serve with fresh rotis!