This is another of those dead easy recipes and you won’t have to spend more than 15mins on the prep work. It’s perfect as a side dish to meat curry or a dry veg curry (called sabji) but you could also eat it as a main dish if you prefer something light.
- 1.5cups masoor dal (red split lentils)
- 16 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4tspn cumin seeds
- 30-40 curry leaves
- 2 green chilli, slit
- 1tspn turmeric
- 2tspn salt
- 2tbspn ghee (you can use oil instead but ghee gives the dal a wonderful buttery flavor)
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. When hot, add cumin seeds.
- When seeds start crackling add chilli, garlic and curry leaves and cook till garlic is golden.
- Add dal, turmeric, salt, 4.5 cups of hot water and stir to mix.
- Get everything to a quick boil, close the lid on the cooker and simmer for 10mins. Turn off gas and let the pressure reduce on its own (usually 15-20mins).
- Open the lid, adjust salt and enjoy!!