This is one of my favourite meals! It not only delicious but very healthy and it’s super duper quick making it an ideal mid-week meal. I hardly spend more than 10minutes on prep work and I usually cook a big batch and freeze meal-size portions which comes in handy on days where I want to be extremely lazy (and still eat well).
- 1.5cups Black eyed beans, soaked in water for 8hrs (or overnight)
- 4tbspn sunflower oil
- 1.5tbspn cumin seeds
- 2tbspn coriander powder
- 1tbspn paprika powder
- 1/4tspn turmeric
- 1.5tbspn fresh ginger paste
- 1.5tbspn fresh garlic paste
- 3 green chillies (optional), chopped
- 3 small tomatoes, chopped
- 200gms frozen spinach
- 1tsbpn salt
- 4cups hot water
- Make a spice mix by mixing 4tbpsn of water with coriander powder, paprika, turmeric, ginger paste, garlic paste and salt.
- Heat oil, on medium heat, in a pressure cooker. Once hot, add cumin seeds.
- When seeds begin to crackle, add the spice mix. Cook for 4-5mins, stirring regularly, until raw flavor of spices is gone.
- Add beans, green chillies, tomatoes, frozen spinach and the hot water. Bring to a boil, close the lid of the cooker and let the pressure build up.
- Turn the heat to low and cook for 10minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 20-25minutes till the pressure is released (the beans will still be cooking during this time).
- Open the cooker, adjust salt and serve with roti or rice!
1) If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can either use canned beans or if you are using dry beans then adjust cooking time accordingly.