What do you do when you have left over rice and odd bits of veggies lying around? You make Tawa Pulao! To be honest, this dish is so tasty that I would make sure I had left over veggies and rice!
I remember eating Tawa Pulao at one of the late night food stalls in Pune and that place grated some cheese on this rice dish and that was it, since then I’ve considered it a crime to eat Tawa Pulao without cheese. This recipe below is for 3 (although my sister and I stuffed ourselves over dinner so it might just be for 4 people)
- 3cups cooked basmati rice
- 1.5tbspn butter
- 1.5tspn cumin seeds
- 1tspn coriander powder
- 1tspn paprika
- 1/2tspn cayenne pepper
- 1/4tspn turmeric
- 1tspn pav bhaji or tawa pulao masala (optional)
- 1/2tspn salt
- 200gms mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 large yellow pepper, diced
- 3/4cup green peas
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 limes
- 50gms grated Grana Padano
- Heat butter in a large frying pan or wok.
- Add cumin seeds and wait till they sizzle and release their aroma.
- Add onions, fry on medium till soft, around 10minutes.
- Add tomatoes, fry for 5minutes.
- Add all the powdered spices, cook for further 10minutes till raw taste of spices is gone.
- Add yellow pepper and mushrooms and fry till veggies are cooked.
- Add green peas, cooked rice, stir till masala and rice are combined. Cover and heat through.
- Serve hot with lime and cheese.